The Bible has more to say about money, possessions, and stewardship than almost any other topic (over 2,350 verses).
A Biblical Perspective On:Introduction, Goals, Net Worth, Debt, Investing, Income Tax, Cash Flow, Strategic Giving, Children & Education, Retirement, Insurance, Estate Planning. Download the whole series
How should Christian believers decide which kingdom ministries to support?
Scripture divides biblical giving into evangelism, preaching, teaching, discipleship, the poor and needy, prisoners, food/clothing/shelter, healing and recovery, widows and orphans, the oppressed, and helpless victims.
Learn more in the biblical giving blueprint.
Selected verses about money, possessions, and stewardship
God Owns It All And We Are His Stewards
- Psalm 24:1 — “The earth is the Lord’s, and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it.”
- Luke 16:11 — “So if you have not been trustworthy in handling worldly wealth, who will trust you with true riches?”
- Matthew 25:21 — “Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things.”
The Bible Encourages Saving and Discourages Debt
- Proverbs 21:20 — “In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil, but a foolish man devours all he has.”
- Proverbs 22:7 — “The borrower is servant to the lender.”
Speculation Leads to Ruin; Diversification to Prosperity
- Eccles. 11:2— “Give portions to seven, yes to eight, for you do not know what disaster may come upon the land.”
- Proverbs 21:5 — “Steady plodding brings prosperity; hasty speculation brings poverty.”
The Lord Loves Cheerful and Generous Givers
- 1 Corinthians 13:3 — “If I give all I possess to the poor… but have not love, I gain nothing.”
- Acts 20:35 — “It is more blessed to give than to receive.”
- Luke 12:34 — “For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.”
Security Is Found Only in Christ
- Luke 12:15 — “A man’s life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.”
- Matthew 6:33— “But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.”
- Isaiah 40:8— “The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God stands forever.”